Carnegie Mellon University is a private, global research university that challenges the curious and passionate to deliver work that matters. Our world-class institution has distinctive areas of excellence and a culture marked by ambition and a deep, practical engagement with challenges facing society. We continue to produce talented alumni and draw faculty and staff eager to be a part of the university's creative, dedicated and close-knit community. We place emphasis on practical problem solving, interdisciplinary learning, an entrepreneurial spirit and collaboration.
CMU is seeking a Director of International Communications to enhance the university's visibility globally and deepen its reputation. This position, which is in the Marketing and Communications Division, will require an independent and resourceful communicator willing to learn and operate in a variety of overseas markets.
The Director will develop and implement a communications strategy to support CMU's global engagement through traditional and social media channels. The Director will be a member of the senior staff of the Marketing and Communications Division, reporting to the Assistant Vice President, Content and Communications. In this role the Director will work closely with the media relations team to enhance the university's national and international visibility, and coordinate and promote collaboration with communications staff in other countries and around campus. The Director will also establish and maintain international media contacts and work closely with the executive communications team.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Work closely with the Assistant Vice President, Content and Communications, and the Assistant Vice President, Strategy and Operations, to develop a comprehensive communications plan that supports the university's increasing global engagement and strategic initiatives.
- Convene regularly with staff in CMU locations around the world, including but not limited to programs in Australia, Rwanda, Qatar and Portugal to ensure collaboration and unified messaging.
- Identify and manage vendors overseas.
- Serve as the Marketing and Communications Division liaison for the Office of CMU's Vice Provost for International Programs and Strategy.
- Travel to international locations as appropriate to support communications projects and public appearances by the President and other university leaders and collaborate with other partner organizations and individuals.
- Monitor global trends and events and identify opportunities to enhance the university's national and international presence and expand and strengthen relationships with partners around the world.
- Work closely with the social media team to identify and utilize opportunities that will enable the university to effectively reach more key target audiences outside the U.S., including potential students, alumni and potential benefactors.
- Liaise with the media relations and executive communications teams to develop key messages and disseminate news about major announcements, including gifts and appointments, and provide briefing notes for the President as needed.
- Conduct a wide range of research and reading on topics and issues relevant to the university's mission and activities.
- Serve on related committees, task forces, and/or advisory groups as needed.
- Assume additional responsibilities as needed.
We are seeking someone with strong skills in writing for both academic and non-academic audiences and publications. The Director should demonstrate an understanding of the education, research and service mission of a major research university as well as an interest in higher education issues and current events. This is a deadline-driven role in a dynamic environment. We will be looking for someone who can speak to their research and strong organizational skills as well as a demonstrated ability to work independently. An ability to exercise a high degree of judgment and diplomacy and an impeccable commitment to confidentiality are required.
This position will involve international travel and will include some night, weekend and holiday duty. The person will initially work in an office in downtown Pittsburgh and then move close to CMU's Oakland campus by Fall 2017.
In order to be considered, please submit a resume, letter of interest, salary requirements, and at least two (2) relevant writing samples. An additional writing assignment may be required as a part of the interview process.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communication or similar field.
- Minimum of eight years combined writing and social media experience or equivalent.
- Experience in higher education and/or experience working internationally is preferred.
- Proven experience in writing news, features, web stories or similar content (writing samples).
- Demonstrated knowledge of web and social media platforms, and experience with social media management tools.
- A proven record of leadership and working collaboratively with others.
- Proficiency in other languages is preferred.
- Valid passport or the ability to obtain one is required.
Visit Why Carnegie Mellon to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world: http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/why-cmu/index.html. More information about employee benefits is available at: http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/index.html.
Learn more about the Marketing and Communications Division: https://www.cmu.edu/marcom.
Carnegie Mellon University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.